Friday, December 12, 2008

Chocolate Chip Date Cake

Chocolate Chip Date Cake
Another recipe passed down from my mother-in-law. Delicious and easy to make. Here is the recipe:
1 cup chopped dates
1 tsp. baking soda
1 cup boiling water
Pour water over dates and soda and cool.
1 cup butter
1 cup white sugar
1 1/2 cups flour
2 eggs
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tblsp. cocoa
1 tsp. vanilla
1 pkg. semi sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup walnuts (optional)
Cream butter and sugar well and add eggs, vanilla and date mixture. Mix together. Add dry ingredients and half the pkg. of chocolate chips. Put in 8x8 greased pan. Cover top with remaining chocolate chips and walnuts. Bake 325F for 40-50 min or until nicely browned.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Gone said...

Hi Deb...

I make this cake, too! It is simply delicious. My mom made it whenever we had company over...as a decadent dessert with coffee. But, I always saw to it that I got a piece of it!! LOL!!!

Jan

Chrissy...The Apothecary Shop said...

Good morning my fellow Canadian!! Saw that you had been by my blog,hope you will come again. Got any snow up your way, we don't have any and I can't say I am sorry.... going to go check out your blog, enjoy your day!! Chrissy